The Potomac Massage Training Institute, a national leader in massage therapy education, transforms the health and well-being of the Washington, DC metropolitan community through professional development, outreach, local partnerships and research.
Welcome to PMTI!
Whether you are looking for a new career, interested in continuing your education to expand your knowledge as a massage therapist, or drawn to take an introductory class on massage and bodywork for yourself, family and friends - come join our circle. During our 34 years of service in Washington, D.C., northern Virginia, and Maryland, we have developed a strong legacy of training excellent massage therapists who practice their art and skill with expertise, integrity and heart...
If you value…Community
- Our vibrant school community is home to a diverse group of students, clients, educators, professionals, community organizations, and employers. We place strong emphasis on our internal community in everything we do.
- If you are a compassionate person with a strong interest in being of service to the world we live in, PMTI is the place for you. Community outreach is an integral component of our work, and we are proud of the past partnerships we’ve established with Georgetown University, Howard University, Touch of Relief, and the Susan G. Komen Foundation… to name just a few.
PMTI with Touch of Relief at the Walter Reed Medical Center Fisher House
If you value…History
PMTI at the U.S. Senate Office Building, Washington, DC
- PMTI is the only massage school in the Washington, DC metropolitan area that has a continuous 34-year history of providing professional training for massage therapists and serving the community.
- Over the years, many of our graduates and staff members have gone on to serve as activists and advocates throughout the massage industry, and have made history through their contributions to the massage field. PMTI alums have served in leadership posts with organizations such as:
- the American Massage Therapy Association
- the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
- the DC Board of Licensing
- the Virginia Board of Nursing oversight of massage therapy
- and the Massage Therapy Advisory Committee of the State of Maryland.
If you value…Ingenuity
PMTI at Komen Race for the Cure, Washington, DC
- Our collaboration with community partners in the area of research provides our students with unparalleled opportunities to study and practice massage as an art and science.
- We are deeply involved in leading the industry with our groundbreaking work on massage-related research
- Our innovative teaching methods and integrative approach to massage training help our students identify their learning styles and enhance their own learning experience.
- Our program structure is designed to help students go beyond the knowledge of how to perform a massage… we emphasize the skills and professionalism you need in order to become a massage therapist.
If you value...Integrity
PMTI faculty members
PMTI’s highest priority has always been the quality of education that our students receive. We are the only nonprofit massage school on the East Coast, and we hold ourselves to the highest standards of our profession:
- In addition to the laws and licensing of the District of Columbia, we hold ourselves accountable to both the Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation and the AMTA Council of Schools.
- Potomac Massage Training Institute is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a continuing education Approved Provider.
- We abide by the AMTA Code of Ethics, as well as our own internal code.
- Our teachers must hold all necessary certifications for practicing massage, and participate in regular teacher training.