CANCELLED (ONLINE | LGBTQ Literacy)
Time & Location
About the Event
Creating a Welcoming Practice for Queer Clients
Instructor: Kelly Madrone, LMT
This course for professional massage therapists is designed to review basic concepts of and issues surrounding ethical and equitable treatment of LGBTQ clients. These include:
- LGBTQ-inclusive (and exclusive) language and terminology
- LGBTQ history and culture
- heterosexism and cissexism – what are they and how do they impact LGBTQ people?
- who is LGBTQ? The idea of “hidden” LGBTQ people—such as those in male-female relationships—and why it’s important to not assume someone’s orientation or identity, as well as how to avoid doing so
- how to make your practice documents LGBTQ-friendly
- massage for trans bodies—special considerations based on issues such as transition (for those who are undergoing a physical transition), including draping, working with the client’s other care providers, special intake questions and welcoming language
The above topics will be reviewed and discussed with the goal of encouraging therapists to explore their own core values, along with their professional ethics and legal considerations, and to ensure that their professional boundaries and conduct reflect these. The course also will provide the opportunity for therapists to ask questions relative to the topics listed above, along with open Q&A.
Kelly Madrone, LMT, is a PMTI graduate and holds certifications in structural myofascial therapy and pre-natal, labor, and post-natal massage. Kelly is also a writer and creative coach focused on areas of science, psychology, and spirituality. She holds a B.A. in Education has published two award-winning non-fiction books, along with more than 100 articles. At PMTI, Kelly has taught or assisted with a variety of classes including deep tissue practicum and muscular and skeletal anatomy and physiology. She currently teaches communication, boundaries, and ethics of touch, along with several continuing education classes. $55.00**
Sunday, January 17th, 2021 | 2:00 - 4:00 PM | 2 CE hours*
*Satisfies the DC requirement for continuing education in "LGBTQ issues"
**Early bird price ends 1/3/2021. $65.00 after.
- Single Registration$65$650$0
- Early Bird Registration$55$550$0